Advertisements

Dolapo Ogutuga starts Nigeria’s First Winery – Anu Adams

L-R: Funmi Ariyibi & Funmi Ajede grace the cover of Emotan with Deebee Wine’s story.

Credits:

Photography – Depo Adenle.

“George” Wrappers – One of the two models’ brought them.

Beaded necklace –    Anu Adams’ collection of old beads [ileke], the type women wore as decorations around the hips way, way back.

Dr. Dolapo Ogutuga, 1978.

POST SCRIPTS:

A.

‘Anu Adams’ has been the pen name of this blogger since my days at the Ibadan, Nigeria-based Daily Sketch in the 70s where having to get material for a 2-page Sunday spread – in addition to a weekly consumer affair Feature – called for, pardon my saying so, journalistic creativity.  The name has served as a by-line for several writings, including a book compilation.

Those who know me from way back would not be surprised at this revelation.  My baptismal name translates to ‘Anu’ in Yoruba while many of us siblings contracted our father’s name – Adamolekun – to ‘Adams’ as nickname in our younger days; I also signed ‘M. Tola Adams’ for many years in official documents.

B.  The logo for the winery, ‘Deebee’, was designed by a friend, Irene Bow, a British expat who, with her husband, Chris, lived at Ibadan back in the mid-70s.

C.   I’m proud of whatever little role Emotan Magazine played in this initial publicity of the efforts of a visionary, Dr. Ogutuga, efforts that have now led to Dee Bee Wines and Juices.  It is a stable that now produces white table wine, Holy Communion wine and a variety of fruit juices.  Among uncountable brands of table water today stands Dee Bee’s “All Clear” table water in a unique bottle shape.

Tola Adenle, Ibadan, Nigeria.

September 10, 2011.

Advertisements
, , , , , , ,

Subscribe to our RSS feed and social profiles to receive updates.

12 Comments on “Dolapo Ogutuga starts Nigeria’s First Winery – Anu Adams”

1. emotan77 Says:

BY A READER THRU MY EMAIL:

Tola dear, thank you so much for bringing back to us the sweet memories of the Emotan years. Dr. Oguntuga was a friend of my late husband. I am happy to know that Debee wine is a success story. Enjoy your weekend. Regards. R.

• emotan77 Says:

My dear R., A million thanks for this. It is very heartening news that Dee Bee wine is very much around and has even gone on to branch out in the beverage industry. Listen, R,, post your comments next time; a great weekend to you, too! TOLA.

2. Joy Says:

Great journalism! Nice to read about yester years – brings back memories

• emotan77 Says:

Thanks, Joy. Your words give great encouragement about my journalism career AND about the need
      to let the youth know of contributions made by Nigerians like Dr. Ogutuga whose feature in EMOTAN
      pre-dates the births of millions of the country’s population. TOLA.

3. emotan77 Says:

Thanks, Big Bros! Will communicate with Deebee people, especially Dr. Ogutuga because I did not do so before re-issuing this. TOLA.

4. sulaimon hakeem bolarinwa Says:

thanks for sharing this with me

5. JOke Says:

It is always nice to find out more about the origin of what we see see today and a pleasure to read about Nigerian owned businesses that have stood the test of time, especially wine which seems like something that would typically be produced outside of Nigeria. Additioanlly the advert inset brINGS BaCk memOrIES OF days gone by:)

• emotan77 Says:

I agree, Joke, and “a Nigerian-owned business that has stood the test of time” could not have happened to a nicer & greater guy who worked his butts off to pull it off four decades ago. And the products attest to their competitiveness. Thanks. TOLA.

6. Ladipo Adamolekun Says:

I read several of the “blasts from the past” during the past week and I enjoyed them all. Today’s revisit to Deebie wine and the update on Dr. Oguntuga’s other products is a great idea. I’ll appreciate information on outlets where I can purchase the products in Ondo State.
    LA, Iju, Akure North, Ondo State.

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Two different posts from two v-e-r-y different websites for your weekend enjoyment | - October 28, 2011

[…] Dee Bee wines, the first Made In Nigeria Wine featured in my old magazine, EMOTAN –  https://emotanafricana.com/2011/09/11/dolapo-ogutuga-starts-nigerias-first-winery/ – there have been questions from a few readers on where they can purchase the products.  Well, […]

Leave comments

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s