Advertisements

63 abducted females escape extremists in Nigeria – HARUNA UMAR and MICHELLE FAUL for AP

 

 

MAIDUGURI, Nigeria (AP) — More than 60 Nigerian girls and women abducted two weeks ago by Islamic extremists have managed to escape, officials said Monday, though more than 200 girls kidnapped in April still remain missing.

Nigerian security forces and federal officials have denied reports of a mass abduction June 22 from three villages in the northeastern state of Borno. But Chibok government chairman Pogu Bitrus said Monday he had verified that about 60 women and girls escaped last week by sending a representative to meet with some of the escapees and their families at a hospital in Lassa.

Civil patrol leader Abbas Gava in Maiduguri, capital of Borno state, said he was told 63 women and girls escaped Friday while their captors were engaged in a major attack on a military barracks and police headquarters in the town of Damboa.

The Associated Press had originally quoted witnesses and a local official saying that 90 people including about 30 boys had been kidnapped from the three villages on June 22. But Bitrus said those who escaped said no males were abducted with them.

Boko Haram extremists have been waging an insurgency for five years in northern Nigeria, demanding the establishment of an Islamic state. More than 2,000 people have died so far this year in the Islamic uprising, compared to an estimated 3,600 total deaths in the previous four years.

The group drew international condemnation for the April 15 abductions of more than 200 schoolgirls from a school in Chibok in the northern state of Borno. First reports put the number at more than 300, but a presidential committee said last month that there were 395 students at the school — 119 who escaped during the siege of the school and 57 who escaped in the first couple of days of their abduction, leaving 219 unaccounted for.

Boko Haram is demanding the release of detained fighters in exchange for the Chibok girls but Nigerian President Goodluck Jonathan reportedly has refused to consider a prisoner swap.

On Monday, government spokesman Mike Omeri told reporters the government still does not know anything about the latest mass abduction and escapes. He also said investigators were progressing in the April Chibok kidnappings case.

“We are moving closer to finding them, at least we have identified a number of leads,” he told reporters.

That statement could not immediately be reconciled with one made weeks ago by Nigeria’s top-ranking soldier, Air Marshal Alex Badeh, who said the government knew where the girls are being held but feared that any military campaign to rescue them could endanger their lives.

Bitrus said attacks have increased around Chibok and that Boko Haram has taken over some villages and is threatening to capture others. A local group, the Kibaku Area Development Association, says 19 villages have been attacked since the April 15 abductions, with more than 229 people killed and about 100 seriously wounded.

The vast majority of the cases have had advance warning of the attacks — as happened in the Chibok kidnappings — yet the military had taken no action, the association said.

“Security and defense is mainly provided by the local vigilante and the police while the soldiers in Chibok sit by and watch villagers being helplessly massacred in their homes, farms and in places of worship,” the association said, demanding help from the United Nations.

Nigeria’s military has reported some successes in recent days. Soldiers killed at least 50 insurgents and lost five troops and their commander when they repulsed an attack by hundreds of Boko Haram fighters on a military base in Damboa, the Defense Ministry said Sunday.

It is impossible to verify reports from an area were Boko Haram is carrying out near-daily attacks.

___

 

TUESDAY, JULY 8, 2014. 6:05  a.m [GMT]

Advertisements
, , ,

Subscribe

Subscribe to our RSS feed and social profiles to receive updates.

2 Comments on “63 abducted females escape extremists in Nigeria – HARUNA UMAR and MICHELLE FAUL for AP”

  1. emotan77 Says:

    FROM MY MAIL BOX:

    Good morning, aunty, and great compliments.

    These 63 are not part of the original 276. These are part of the June 18 abductees.
    Have a lovely day.

    Christiana.

    Like

    Reply

    • emotan77 Says:

      Dear Christiana,

      Thanks for this information which is useful not only to readers but also to me because I did not know these girls were not part of the original although I did not mention which group of girls escaped; I merely used the story as published by the Wire.

      Nigeria, meaning all of us, is in very serious danger when a whole lot of young girls as I pointed out when the dreadful incident of 200+ original abducted happened, that close to three hundred girls in a village within a state placed under emergency could be driven out without security officials knowing about it. It is definitely impossible, and if it’s so, who and who conspired to perpetrate this horror and did the girl not give a whimper as they were driven away in multiple vehicles? How about the subsequent abduction, including one that supposedly had young boys?

      Thanks for pointing this out and thanks for being a blog regular.

      Regards,
      TOLA.

      Like

      Reply

Leave comments

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: